Colour photo showing bridge over the Craigs of Alvah gorge

In August 1829 the worst floods known around Banff occured; could have been much worse if it wasn’t for the Craigs of Alvah and the Duff House estate wall.

Black and white navigational chart showing Macduff harbour and immediate surroundings

Macduff Harbour has had four Lighthouses, the first installed between 1842 and 1845, and moved three times.

Partly coloured map showing the detailed layout of the original Duff House gardens, overlaid with a transparent current day road layout

The Vinery – the large glasshouse – that is seen by everyone coming into Banff, used to be part of the Duff House estate. A Diary, by an estate gardener John Donaldson, amongst lots of other interesting references, provides the information that the Vinery was built in 1873.

Black and white text
Greyscale drawing of Macduff harbour showing three large sailing cargo vessels, with the church on the hill